Thursday, January 12, 2012

1.12.10 {Haiti}

Two years ago today 316,000 people lost their lives in the devastating earth quake in Port Au Prince, Haiti.  300,000 others were injured and 1,000,000 people were made homeless on this day.  We are so far removed from this reality.  We have no idea what this type of devastation looks like.  I caught a glimpse of it last year, and Dallas got an even better idea the year before, but we really cannot fathom this reality.

I miss my short time in Haiti.  I told Dallas once and I will say it again, I could live there.  I would have never thought I could move to a place like that and drag my children along to an impoverished nation, but I could.  I don't know what it is about that place, but it is special.  A piece of my heart is there, my prayers go there and I believe I saw a glimpse of hope in a hopeless place.

Haiti is a devastated nation full of beautiful people.

Anytime I get too superficial, greedy, sad or angry I look at my video and pictures from our trip.  I look at the eyes of the children and think about what their day, year and future holds.  It really sort of puts me in my place.  I am so thankful for that reminder.

I hope you will remember to continue to pray for Haiti.  The work there is not yet done!

Mass Grave {over 250,000 bodies}


No comments: