Thursday, July 7, 2011

Finishing touches...

I am SO excited to debut my new curtains!  This fabric was a steal.  I was looking for something similar to Pottery Barn's Simone fabric that they sell for a ridiculous $30 a yard.  I love the colors and the pattern and I was determined to find something.  I was telling my husband's aunt (who is a creative design genius) what I was looking for and she automatically told me about this discount design fabric place that may have something similar.  Sure enough.  Not only was is similar, it was THE Pottery Barn fabric, Simone herself!  They had 2 bolts they bought when PB opened Simone up to designers and it was on special the weekend we got it for $15 a yard!!!

I outsourced the sewing on these beauties to the best seamstress I know, my mom!  She is seriously SO wonderful and does a way better job than whomever PB uses to whip up their threads.  I wanted them lined for the front window in our reading room.  I actually want to use them as curtains to block night-time views into our home, so I really didn't want to risk doing them myself and jacking them up.  They turned out beautiful, as I knew they would!  Thanks mom!


I can't wait to cozy up in one of these chairs in the morning to do my bible study!  

Moving on to my bedroom...this poor room was in desperate need of some color!  I'm not done with it yet, I'm waiting to find just the right bedding, but these curtains brought in some much needed color to start.  Maybe in another year I will get around to new pillows or bedding.  These guys were a great deal as well....$22 for each panel + 50% off at Hobby Lobby.  They are 96" and lined!    


By the way, when did curtain rods get so UGLY and ornate?  It was so hard just to find something plain and simple...what gives?

These obviously aren't curtain related, but I found these cool vintage scales at an antique market in IL.  I had wanted one after seeing them in magazines, and was SO excited to discover them amidst the other junk surrounding them.

5 comments:

Aja said...

Yay! The curtains look great! And those scales are an awesome find- I need to go shop up north with you sometime!

katie@tulsadetails said...

I love it!!! Amazing how curtains dress up a room!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that fabric! It's one of my PB faves! My mom actually has some antique scales like that, I think she painted them red...super cute!

Megan

Jill said...

Hi, would you mind sharing your paint color for the roomyou used the pottery barn simone drape fabric? Thanks so much. Jill

http://jillandlarry.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Hi Jill! The bottom color, under the chair rail, is Behr Harvest brown. I'm not sure of the top color, as it was already painted when we moved in. I actually just painted this room Benjamin moore bone white to go with my new furniture. This top color gives off quite a bit of a yellow undertone in day light.

Thanks! Sarah