Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May


"Mom, I got sand in my eyes."


"Seriously, mom... sand!"

I cannot believe it is already the middle of May!  Where does the time go?  Meanwhile, as time flies by, my kids get huge!  My little Juder is getting so big and is just the sweetest little boy I know.  His heart is so big and he is so compassionate.  He lost something of mine today and was apologizing to me and was just crying his eyes out.  He said, "mom, I'm just so sorry I did that".  He wasn't trying to avoid a spanking or punishment, he genuinely felt bad.  I could tell.  It made me feel bad for coming down hard on him.  Sometimes it's hard to remember that Mr. independent/do-it himself is only four years old.  Just a little boy.  I had to check his fingers this morning to make sure that the little dimples where his knuckles are were still there.  That's my sign that he's still little.  I love those little dimps!  Jude's been SO independent lately.  He's been dressing himself, clothes, underwear, socks and shoes since he was two years old, but now he wants no help with anything!  He gets himself in and out of the car and carseat.  He even unstraps Rhett if he has time before I get to him first.  He makes his own bed now and carries his clean clothes to his room after they've been folded.  He serves himself water and ice out of the refrigerator door, and clears his plate from the table after a meal.  He can recognize and point out every letter in uppercase and lowercase and writes them too.  He LOVES to write and draw.  He especially likes drawing boats.  All of his pictures are very detailed! He can write his name and usually writes the 'j' backwards which always brings a smile to my face.  He is my first born and my best friend.  I'm just not ready for him to be all grown up and leave me for school.  I have so enjoyed our time together, and am so thankful that God gave him to me to raise!

My car has back up censors, and today we were backing up in the car and I was turned around looking in all of my blind spots to make sure I didn't hit a parked car.  Very frankly Jude said, "mom, the car will beep if you are going to hit something, you don't have to look all around."  Seriously, what four year old thinks of these things?  I just love him to pieces, every last detail of his inquisitive mind and sweet, loving and sensitive heart!


Rhett just waking up from a night's ride in the car on the way back from Florida.  Whole gangs here...hippo, blankie and paci:).  

Rhett is all of the sudden like a different child.  He's still a great sleeper and super sweet, but he is talking up a storm!  Sentences are repeated by this one daily, and he says almost every word we ask him to say.  Rhett is our affectionate baby.  He has always loved to lay his head down on our shoulders and sometimes will just lay down in the middle of the floor if he feels so inclined to do so.  He's a hugger and a kisser!  He loves to snuggle blankets and pillows and most definitely loves stuffed animals!  Who knew?  I used to think stuffed animals were junk because Jude never played with them or cared about them in any way, but Rhett loves them!  His favorite is 'hippo', a soft hippopotamus given to Jude as a baby, but he will not turn away any soft and furry friend.  He has liked anything we've shown him and loves to snuggle them. When I get him out of his crib in the morning he reaches back in for hippo every time!  He has also been known to get attached to blankets and a certain paci that gets resurrected ever so often!  I adore how sweet and affectionate he is, and I hope that he doesn't outgrow that anytime soon.

It's hard to believe that Jude was sleeping in a queen size bed at Rhett's age!  I have no intention of taking Rhett out of his crib anytime soon.  Jude was climbing out and hurling his body to the floor, so we switched him out for safety reasons, but Rhett just seems way to young for this.

We are so excited for summer at our house.  I can't wait to spend our days at the pool, grill out at night, sit out on the back porch on summer nights and watch the boys chase fireflies, late evening walks, our long trip to Illinois, summer's 5th night in Utica Square and spending time with friends.  What could be better?  Bring it on!

2 comments:

Aja said...

Such sweet boys! I love them!

katie@tulsadetails said...

They are both so seriously adorable! I cannot believe how big Rhett has gotten. And Jude couldn't be any sweeter! So glad I ran into you today! :)