Sunday, February 23, 2014

Seven

It's been seven short years since my baby boy came into this world.  I know people say it all of the time, but it really and truly feels like yesterday.  How he can be seven already just blows my mind.  We only have him here in our house for 11 more years.  Frankly, that's terrifying…knowing now how fast time goes. Only 11 more years to pour into him, teach him, raise him to be a responsible man, a loving spouse, a wonderful father, to choose a wife well, to love Jesus above all else.  It seems overwhelming to think about.  So I won't. We will continue living each day knowing that it is a gift from God.  We will watch our responsible boy make good choices and help him when he struggles. We will continue to take him to church 2 times a week and pray that his relationship with Jesus continues to be his own, and that it grows like a wild fire. We will watch his compassionate heart touch other's lives, and we will see all of the places God takes him.

If I'm being honest, Jude is the oldest seven year old I know. He's what I think of when I hear the term 'old soul'.  He's more responsible, determined, rational, caring and compassionate than I could have dreamed of being at his age.  I wish you could see the way he cares for his siblings. He carries other's burdens and prays and cries for them.  I know God has big plans for him, and I'm excited to see them unfold, but for now I just want him to be my little boy a while longer. To not be embarrassed to hold my hand when I pick him up from school.  To sit in my lap and play hide and seek.  To think it's still okay to call me momma.  

I know he's growing up. He scored 24 points at his basketball game last weekend.  His only requests for his birthday was to have a birthday dinner with friends instead of a big party, and he wanted a desk in his room. Even though the years still pass, he'll always be my baby.  

I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.  

What he's into right now..

The rainbow loom.  Every parent of a 6-10 year old knows of the bracelet phenomenon happening right now. At least some of you have ruined a vacuum or gone completely insane from the number of rogue rubber bands trapped in your carpet, cars and furniture. Jude loves his. His favorite bracelet to make is the fish tale.

Legos.  Jude got several lego kits for his birthday and put them all together on his own.  The most impressive was the back to the future time machine.  That thing looked so hard to make and he put that puppy together in no time!  He loves building.  

His desk.  He will sit there and make bracelets and build things for hours.  I'm so happy we set this up for him.  I surprised him with it after school on his birthday and he was so excited.  I think he's most happy to have a place to keep his small pieces out of Hattie's reach.  And just to have a place of his own to work on things.  

Sports.  We just wrapped up basketball and it was so exciting.  Jude was so determined and improved leaps and bounds from the first game to the last.  He was the top scorer on his team and many times received awards like, 'Most Christ-like', 'Best Offense' and 'Determination'.  Proud momma.  Baseball is already heating up, and he's so pumped.  He's been running drills on his own in the yard and practicing sprints.  I caught him lifting weights the other day and stopped him.  He just wants to be the best he can be so bad.  Love this kid to the moon.  

Happy 7th Birthday, Jude.  You are amazing in every single way!  






1 comment:

katie@tulsadetails said...

Aw! What a proud mom you must be! He is so sweet!! I remember meeting him when he was 2! That flew by!!!