Saturday, August 17, 2013

Decor wish list

I've had a few things on my wish list for my house for some time now.  Many of them are small things, some patterns I want to incorporate, some larger items that I haven't found the right deal on. You know, just stuff that's not really important, but i'll get to it when I do. Here's my wish list..

1. Horizontal wide Striped curtain panels.

I've lusted after these bad boys going on 2 years now.  I REFUSE to pay $200 for them, so I'm holding out until Target catches on to the demand for these, and they charge $34.95 each.  I did order some for $50 per panel from West Elm, but they were not up to my expectation upon receipt.  The color was all wrong for my space. I've thought of a million ways to make them myself, but they all involve way more time and energy than I'm willing to donate to my office window treatment.  My window is also super high, so whoever comes out with my fantasy cheap version had better make them at least 108"h.

I love these from Crate and Barrel, but of course they do not come as long as I need them.  

2. Greek Key Pattern

I love the idea of my house having design elements from all over the world.  For a long time we had an asian ming coffee table and a couple of moroccan poufs in my living room.  I love to mix and match and have no real rhyme or reason to things.  I think fabric is a great way to do this. I love ikat patterns because they make me think of India, and it adds so much personality to a space.  For a while I've been trying to decide where I can add the Greek key pattern to my decor.  I'm thinking possibly edging on a curtain or a few neutral throw pillows somewhere.  Or at this point maybe I'll throw out the idea of #1 above and do this for curtains instead. I don't want to overdue it, I just want it incorporated somewhere.  I love that it's a classic, yet it's bold and makes a statement. I'm not trying to decorate with super trendy patterns that will need to be replaced in 6 months..ahem..my chevron office curtains.  No, I'm looking for more mature and lasting design selections these days. 

I found this great pillow on Etsy

3.  Cowhide rug

Oh how I've longed for thee.  I've been looking for the perfect hide for THREE years.  It doesn't exist, so I'm going to the fair to pick one up next month.  Decision made!  Something like this..


4. Kilim Rug

So, I love the authentic antique Turkish kilim rugs, and I would love to have one.  I love the patterns and colors and I have the perfect place for one.  However, they cost a million dolla bills, and used rugs skeeve me out, so maybe a new one is the way to go?  I have been happy to see places like Pottery Barn and Urban outfitters are coming out with some options to get the look for less.  I still prefer the worn and faded look of the antiques.  


Pinterest

5. Lamps 

In NYC I was introduced to a beautiful pair of Christopher Spitzmiller gourd lamps that had me at hello.  Since then, I've been eyeing lamps all over the place.  I need more lamps.  My bedroom lamps could easily be replaced for something a little more like these guys..


Christopher Sptizmiller Gourd Lamps 


Christopher Spitzmiller via Pinterest 


Christopher Spitzmiller via Pinterest 


I'll be checking out estate sales for some vintage lamp twins very soon! 

6. Brass

See lamps above.  I'm loving a lot of the brass fixtures I'm seeing in design these days.  I'd like to start easing brass in and mixing it with all of the assortment of metals in my house.  We have such a mix, and I'm totally comfortable with it now (haven't always been).  Copper, brushed nickel, oil rubbed bronze..I don't discriminate when it comes to accessories and fixtures these days.  If I like it, I will do my best to make it work.  



7. Port hole mirror(s)  

I would love to have one big one, but if that doesn't pan out, I also like sets of three smaller ones in different sizes. My cousin in NY had a beautiful set of thick wood porthole mirrors and they were stunning! 


Pinterest 


Ebay

They don't even have to be convex, but that adds to the vintage feel for sure.  I saw a wall gallery that had a confederate eagle convex mirror like one my friend Aja was selling at a local flea market.  I fell in love with the gallery wall, but could do without the eagle for sure.  I see these puppies all over design mags these days, but they've been around forever.  Many of them I've come across were made in the 40's.  I just saw some in Ballard, but again, I prefer the nostalgia of the oldies. 

8. Rattan/Bamboo

Have you seen the comeback this business has made?  I don't love it all, but I do love a few things that I would put in my house.  I'm eyeing a couple of night stands that could work. Serena and Lilly has a few great options for smaller pieces that I like..   



This chair reminds me of the time I spent on the coast in Italy with my sister in college.  Every little outdoor eatery had some version of these.  I'll take 6! 

9. Foxed mirrors 

I saw these pics via House Beautiful a while ago, and I just love them.  I've always loved mirrors, but I love the added character to these beauties.  I also love that they are added to these spaces as art and another layer of dimension.  They still add light and depth, but don't serve as a conventional mirror.  Beautiful. 



So there you have it!  That's what I'm eyeing when I hit a flea market, estate sale and the internet these days.  Little things that make our home collected and unique. 

Sarah 















1 comment:

Aja said...

Love it all! I've always always loved the those old, foggy mirrors. I know there's a way to make them yourself, but bleerrrgggh. Who has the time! Can't wait to see what you find!