Sunday, January 30, 2011

busy busy...

I sometimes wonder how we squeeze SO much into one little week, seven measly days....I don't know  how we do it, but somehow everything seems to get done.  Last week seemed like a classic example of me being "overdone".  I sometimes have a knack for over-volunteering my time and services for things.  I would rather have it this way, I guess, than having something neglected or overlooked.  I finally feel like the Martin household is back on track and I can get back to jumping on the trampoline, playing with play doh, coloring and being goofy (a few of my favorite things).  Soon Dallas and I will leave for Haiti, and I guess someone will have to get us prepared for that trip, get the kids prepared for wherever they will be that week and get all of our living trust paperwork in order.  I vote Dallas:).

So, a lot has happened in the last week.  We had a funeral, conducted a science project, found a new love for Jude (and me), repurposed our kitchen table, took a trip to the Dr. after Rhett fell out of a shopping cart and landed on his head and the excitement goes on and on.  Here are a few of the details...

Jude's first experiment!  We planted 5 kidney beans in a clear plastic cup using nothing but a paper towel and water.  We watered the beans everyday and look....



These things are seriously a foot tall today and there are three of them now with another one just sprouting. 

We also planted seeds for roses in a teeny tiny pot, and much to my surprise, those are coming up as well!  We will transfer these to pots and watch them grow as long as I can keep them alive, but I don't want Jude getting too attached, I don't exactly have a green thumb.  

Jude's Love...

Most of you know that Jude had a HUGE crush on Kari Jobe last year.  She sweetly sang him to sleep every night last winter (that's how we got him to sleep in his bed).  Kari is an amazing Worship leader who Dallas and I went to school with at ORU.  The baseball team called her "the angel" because of her sweet voice and obvious beauty.  Seriously, I think more than just Jude have had a crush on her.  I'm remembering a weird conversation Dallas and I had where he was pondering why Kari's boyfriend wouldn't just "put a ring on it" already. He of course had no idea of how long they had been dating or any other details that go along with marital type decisions:).  She has recently become humongous on christian and non christian charts.  She had the #1 downloaded song on i-tunes for a long time running last year and her music has been a ministry to our lives.  Our church hosted a women's conference last year and Kari was the main-event.  I was on the committee that put the whole thing together and Jude had an opportunity to meet miss Kari in person...twice.  She doted over him and sang "Hey Jude" while he just stood there like a deer in the Headlights.  He was so overcome with excitement, that all he talked about for a week was Kari Jobe.  To this day every time I pass the hotel where the conference was held Jude says, "Mom, that's the hotel where Kari Jobe was".  


Well, bad news bears, Kari!  There's a new girl in town, and Jude's got a new crush.  Her name is Kim Walker and she's quite a bit spunkier than Kari.  I think Jude likes it so well because of instrumentals involved with the band.  It's got much more of a "rock" feel to it. She has a raspy voice and I must admit,  it is amazing!   Kim sings with the band Jesus Culture and it's all Worship music too.  I definitely recommend them.  Some of our faves are Relent, How he loves us and Your love never fails.  You can listen to all of them on Youtube if interested.  


I'm starting to feel like a bad mom for all of the falls and bumps my boys have experienced (feel free to disagree with me here).  This sweet little noggin above fell out of a shopping cart the other day.  I can't explain the terror that goes through your body and mind when something like this happens.  He flipped right out of the basket, landed on the top of his head and then on his back.  Thankfully he was up running around and laughing just seconds after the crying stopped.  We dashed off to our Doctor right away to have him all checked out, and he is fine.  

The scariest experience I've encountered (and I hope this is it), was at a softball game when Jude was 2.  He was sitting on the top bleacher reading a book with one of the moms, and I was standing on the ground behind the bleachers talking to some friends.  I turned to look up at him and at that moment he lost his place and was heading straight for the asphalt.  I couldn't get there fast enough and he landed, on his head, on the hard asphalt.  It seriously was the WORST sound I've ever heard.  Friends say it sounded like a cantalope hitting the ground.  I grabbed him immediately started praying over him.  I couldn't even look at his head at this point.  I just had my hands holding his head and holding him against me.  He was hysterical and I probably was too.  They stopped the game and Dallas came running off the field to find out what had happened.  The ball-field sent paramedics over to see about him and they had to remove my hands from his head.  They looked at him and said to get him the the emergency room.  When I saw his head I gasped.  I'm telling you there was a crack in his skull.  I saw it, Dallas saw it, apparently the paramedics saw it and our friends who were close enough saw it too.  We prayed over him until we got to the hospital and I held him in my arms while we waited for Doctors and ct scans.  He was so scared, poor baby.  I was pregnant with Rhett at the time, so I couldn't be in the room with him while the x-rays were taken.  They wrapped him up like a burrito and told him they needed some pictures.  He still talks about this experience and uses those very words to describe it.  He was 100% miraculously just fine!!!  I know that Jesus healed his head that day.  I know that there was a crack when we left the ball field that was gone when we arrived at the hospital.  You may not believe in miracles, but I do, and I know that Jude was healed that day.  

Meanwhile, I resolve to keep my boys out of danger in 2011! 

I love their little heads...

 Jude wore CawCaw's tie to the funeral...he might hit up a fraternity party after:). 



I also love Rhett's gray skinny cords from Gap!  

Good news on my dining room situation.  I've figured it out!  I will post pics when I get it all put together and my new chairs come in.  








No comments: